Imagine scratching your hair the entire day due to a rash or itch. While it is not life-threatening, it can disrupt your daily activities. This happens when you have a sensitive scalp—a subset of sensitive skin conditions.
If you’re experiencing this condition for the first time, you may be keen on trying some home remedies. They may work if your condition is not so severe that it requires sensitive scalp treatment. To help you, we’ve put together a list of home remedies—though seeking help with a scalp specialist is best when treating this tricky condition.
Before we get to that, though, let’s find out what scalp sensitivity is and its common causes.
What Is A Sensitive Scalp And What Are Its Causes?
A sensitive scalp means you regularly experience unpleasant sensations such as tingling, burning and itchiness. This can happen because of several reasons:
- Exposure to heat and pollution: Air particles and chemicals have become part of our daily lives and repeated exposure to them can cause buildup that results in scalp sensitivity.
- Usage of cosmetics, soaps, and shampoos: Applying excessive hair care products that are inappropriate for your hair condition and type may lead to a sensitive scalp.
- Hormonal changes: As we grow older and become more stressed, our hormonal levels will fluctuate. Additionally, menstrual cycles in females may be a contributing factor.
How To Treat Sensitive Scalp With Home Remedies
While a sensitive scalp is not life-threatening, it still causes discomfort that can affect you at work or while you’re out at a social event. You can try these five natural home remedies to address it:
1. Use Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel is a great moisturiser for the scalp and hair. It helps soothe an irritated scalp, reduces itching, and hydrates the skin. Massage the gel into your scalp and leave it on for 30 to 60 minutes before rinsing it with water. Remember not to apply shampoo immediately afterward to allow the natural nutrients and vitamins to absorb. Do this twice or thrice a week to prevent dandruff and other inflammations.
2. Apply Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a great way to balance the pH of your scalp and reduce itching and flaking. Mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with water and massage the solution into your scalp and hair for five minutes before rinsing it with water. Do this once or twice daily to ease your sore scalp.
3. Use Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antifungal and antiseptic properties that can help soothe an itchy scalp and reduce dandruff. Mix five to six drops of tea tree oil with two tablespoons of jojoba oil. Apply this mixture to your scalp and massage it gently for a few minutes. Afterward, leave it on for an hour before washing it off with mild shampoo.
4. Exfoliate With Baking Soda
Baking soda can be used to gently exfoliate a dry and sensitive scalp, removing dead skin cells and reducing flaking. Mix a small amount of baking soda with water to form a paste, massage it into your scalp, and leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing the mixture with shampoo.
5. Avoid Overusing Styling Tools
While hair styling tools such as hair dryers and straighteners have become a daily morning routine for most females, the heat from these tools may lead to a sensitive scalp. Furthermore, applying chemicals to your hair for colouring can make matters worse.
6. Have A Balanced Diet
What you eat has an impact on the health of your scalp. Having a nutritious and balanced diet is key. Plan your meals such that they include fish, fruits and vegetables, along with meat.
Looking For Sensitive Scalp Treatment In Singapore?
If your scalp continues to itch and you still have burning sensations, redness or a rash despite trying the above home remedies, consider visiting a hair clinic.
At Tricholab, we perform hair diagnostics to get to the root of your sensitive scalp problem.
Our sensitive scalp treatment consists of the following four stages:
- Scalp analysis: A pre-treatment in-depth scan of your scalp to assess its condition and requirements.
- Sensitive scalp mask and steam: Customised sensitive scalp mask to hydrate and promote blood circulation
- Sensitive scalp shampoo: Using our series of specialised hair care designed to reduce scalp sensitivity and boost immune function.
- Add-Ons: Whether it is a multivitamin serum or LED Light Therapy, give your treatment a boost for greater results.
Want to solve your scalp and hair problems with a professional? Contact us today!