When done right, microneedling treatments can help restore lost hair and even produce thicker and fuller-looking hair.
This guide will walk you through everything you need to know about preparing for your hair loss microneedling treatment in Singapore — from choosing the right hair growth specialist to proper aftercare practices for the best hair regeneration results.
Understanding hair loss microneedling
Hair loss microneedling is a minimally-invasive treatment based on the science of the skin’s natural healing response. It involves strategically positioned “pricks” on the skin with a derma roller or derma pen, creating micro-injuries that stimulate collagen and elastin production.
Similarly on scalp skin, microneedling can stimulate dormant or weakened hair follicles. It can help with new hair growth and thicken thinning hair, especially for hair loss conditions such as alopecia areata and androgenetic alopecia. Microneedling also encourages the scalp to release platelets and hair growth factors in the targeted areas, which help to further thicken the existing hair follicles.
When do you need hair loss microneedling?
Hair loss microneedling is a viable hair loss solution for those who suffer from androgenetic alopecia and alopecia areata:
- Androgenetic alopecia — Androgenetic alopecia, commonly known as male-pattern baldness or female-pattern baldness, is a hair loss condition caused by overstimulation of the hair follicles due to androgens. This leads to a shorter hair growth period, and hence, shorter and thinner strands of hair. In men, it often presents in a well-defined pattern that begins above both temples and recedes. In women, the hair loss pattern starts at the top of the head and a widening middle part.
- Alopecia areata — Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disorder where the body’s immune system attacks the hair follicles by mistake, causing hair loss that often occurs in patches.
If you experience thinning hair or bald patches on your scalp, please consult a professional for a proper diagnosis. They will be able to advise you on your suitability for the hair loss microneedling treatment, or provide alternative options that may better suit your needs and hair concerns.
An FUE hair transplant is the only permanent hair loss treatment; patients are often recommended to do a hair transplant while their hair grafts are still healthy to increase their chances of full hair regrowth. That being said, scalp microneedling can be an option for those not ready to undergo a transplant and still want to achieve thicker hair.
Choosing the right provider
Finding the right hair growth specialist is one of the most crucial steps in getting a complication-free treatment and optimal results. Just like every other procedure, microneedling for hair loss requires proper technique, using the right tools, and the correct protocols to ensure that the treatment is done safely and effectively. When choosing the right provider, some factors to consider include:
- Credentials and qualifications — Look for therapists or aestheticians with specific training in microneedling and hair restoration. It is also important to ensure that the business or entity is licensed to perform such procedures in Singapore.
- Experience and expertise — It is important to find an experienced provider with expertise in microneedling for hair loss. It also helps to look for trustworthy reviews and testimonials online or from friends who have undergone similar treatments.
- Treatment facility — During your first visit to your provider’s clinic, ensure that the space is clean, well-maintained, and equipped with the appropriate tools to carry out the procedure.
- Safety protocols — Ensure that the provider follows strict safety and infection control protocols to minimise your risk of complications, such as using properly sterilised needles and equipment.
- Treatment cost — As several sessions are generally required to see significant results, find a provider within your budget that allows you to undergo your treatment sessions without breaking the bank. Some providers also offer financing options to help ease payments. Microneedling treatment prices in Singapore generally start from $300 – $700, depending on the type of treatment, treatment area, and the number of sessions you require.
Consultation and assessment
Getting a proper consultation is the first step to being closer to thicker, healthier hair. A consultation allows your provider to assess your suitability for microneedling and work with you in creating a customised treatment plan for your hair loss condition.
It is important to note that this consultation is a good opportunity to discuss your goals and ask your therapist questions to clarify any concerns you may have. You may also ask for before-and-after photos of patients who have undergone microneedling for hair loss as well.
During your consultation, you can expect your provider to inform you of what to expect before and after your hair loss microneedling treatment. They should be transparent about the potential risks and benefits of the procedure.
Preparing your scalp
Follow the pre-procedure guidelines provided by your therapist. These may include:
- Stopping any medications or supplements that may increase your risk of bleeding or compromise your scalp’s healing process.
- Discontinuing the application of topical hair loss medications that may interfere with the treatment.
Right before your treatment, your hair is cleansed, and a topical anaesthetic is applied to ensure that you’re kept comfortable throughout the procedure.
Medications and supplements
Microneedling can also enhance and heighten the absorption of topical treatments when used in combination. Micro-channels in the scalp created during the microneedling process allow for better penetration into the skin.
Together with the increased collagen production, topical medications and supplements can work synergistically to promote hair growth and maximise your results. Common products applied are:
- Hair growth serums — Hair growth serums are cocktails of active ingredients formulated to encourage healthy hair growth. For example, TrichoLab’s microneedling treatment includes a patented serum made of herbal and peptide complex growth factors, which are delivered into the follicles via microneedling.
- Minoxidil — Minoxidil, commonly known as Rogaine, is an FDA-approved hair loss medication often prescribed for hair loss. Patients who cannot comply or see satisfactory results with topical minoxidil can explore oral minoxidil, a pill version of minoxidil.
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) — When used with microneedling, PRP can penetrate into deeper levels of the skin and enhance collagen and elastin production.
What to expect during the procedure
Microneedling procedures vary slightly, depending on which provider you choose.
TrichoLab’s Signature Microneedling Hair Growth treatment is a 90-minute scalp treatment for hair loss in Singapore that involves a patented hair growth and anti-hair loss formula.
- Preparation — Before your treatment, a thorough scalp analysis is done to assess your condition. This is followed by an anti-hair loss mask and shampooing. A topical anaesthetic, or numbing cream, is then applied to keep you as comfortable as possible throughout your microneedling treatment.
- Microneedling with hair growth formula — Performed by a trained professional, a microneedling tool with sterilised needles, up to 0.6mm in length, is used to deliver the patented hair growth formula to deeper layers of the skin.
Sometimes, a combination of treatments are recommended to achieve optimal results. You’re given the option to include a multivitamin serum or LED light therapy to enhance your results. Your therapist will then schedule a follow-up session for your next visit.
Following aftercare instructions properly is just as important as the treatment itself. This ensures the safety of your procedure and prevents any unwanted side effects, as well as maximises your results from the microneedling procedure. Some aftercare tips include:
- Do not wash your hair immediately — You are advised not to wash your hair at least 4 hours after the treatment. When it’s finally time for a rinse, wash your scalp gently with a fragrance-free shampoo.
- Avoid sun exposure — The sun’s UV radiation can potentially damage the skin and adversely affect your scalp’s healing process. Protect your scalp by wearing a hat and applying an adequate amount of sunscreen when heading out.
- Avoid excessive heat — Avoid using heat styling tools, such as hairdryers and straighteners. You are also advised to avoid hot showers and saunas 24 – 48 hours after your microneedling procedure.
- Keep your scalp clean — It is important to keep your scalp clean and bacteria-free as it heals. This includes sleeping on a clean pillow sheet after your treatment to prevent infections.
- Keep your scalp hydrated — Use a gentle moisturiser to reduce flakiness and soothe your healing scalp.
- Avoid strenuous exercise — Avoid heavy exercises to minimise sweat and bacteria on the scalp. Light or low-impact exercises may still be acceptable.
- Steer clear of swimming pools — Avoid swimming pools to prevent infection. Additionally, the chlorinated pool water may irritate your healing scalp.
- Avoid chemical treatments — Avoid chemically treating your hair for at least a week after your treatment to prevent aggravating the scalp.
- Eat a healthy diet — Aside from avoiding certain factors that could harm your skin, it is also important to eat a healthy, nutritious diet for faster skin recovery.
Read in detail the most crucial things to avoid after a microneedling treatment.
Remember to attend your follow-up appointments to allow your treatment provider to monitor your condition and results, as well as provide any additional care needed.
Microneedling for hair loss is a minimally-invasive procedure and generally requires little to no downtime. Compared to other more invasive hair restoration treatments, the recovery period is brief.
However, as tiny pricks are made on the scalp during the procedure, your skin will still need some time to heal. For the first few days after the procedure, you may experience some flaking and peeling, and your scalp will feel tight and dry. This is completely normal and will subside within a week or so.
Not everything is a quick fix, and it is important to understand that it may require a few sessions, a few weeks apart, to experience significant results. This depends on your specific hair loss condition. Consistency is key, and after several months, you will achieve your hair goals!
Are you a suitable candidate?
Hair loss microneedling is generally well-tolerated because of its non-invasive nature. However, a proper assessment is still needed to ensure your suitability and results. Before undergoing your treatment, it is important to consult a professional especially if you have:
- History of acne or eczema
- Have a condition that slows healing, such as diabetes
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Are on blood thinners or other similar medications
A proper assessment is paramount in determining your suitability and safety of the procedure. Your treatment professional will also be able to advise you on treatment alternatives, or a treatment plan tailored to your hair concerns and goals.
Hair growth treatment in Singapore
Hair loss is a common beauty concern among both men and women. Thankfully, there are solutions available.
With over a decade of experience, TrichoLab is dedicated to treating a variety of hair loss conditions through evidence-based hair restoration solutions. Our Signature Microneedling Hair Growth treatment is a multi-faceted programme meant to purify the scalp and encourage hair growth.